Admissions Requirements for Dental Hygiene BSDH (Jersey City)
|Admissions Requirements for Dental Hygiene BSDH||
- Minimum High School Diploma or recognized equivalency certificate (GED)
- Take the HESI Exam and obtain a minimum score of 70
- Admissions Application
Complete and submit the official admissions application.
- High School Diploma or GED
Along with the application, present a copy of the applicant’s High School diploma/transcript, or have the applicant’s high school send a copy of his/her diploma/transcript directly to Eastern International College.
Recipients of a State Equivalency Diploma (GED) must submit a copy of the transcript of their test results with the application. Applicants whose secondary education was in a country outside the U.S. must obtain written official evaluation of transcripts showing equivalency from their native country, using one of the approved evaluating companies, such as WES, ECE, etc. Official electronic transcripts (e-transcripts) are accepted.
- HESI (A2) Test
- Reading Comprehension – Presents reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension; tests for skills meaning of words in context, demonstrating passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge – Contains vocabulary that is commonly used in the English language, as well as that which is specific to the healthcare field.
- Basic Math Skills – Centers on math skills needed for the healthcare field, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
- Anatomy & Physiology – Includes general medical terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
- Chemistry – Covers the basic concepts of composition, structure and properties of substances and the transformations they undergo.
- Learning Style – Assesses the preferred learning style of the prospective applicant and offers test- taking and study tips suited to that learning style.
Submit a personal statement in response to an essay question drafted by the Chair of the Dental Hygiene program.
- Proof of Citizenship/Legal Status
Submit documentation to show legal status if not a citizen of the United States.
- Criminal Background Check
Students must undergo criminal history background check that verifies a negative result
- Drug Screen
Students must undergo drug screening that verifies negative result.
All applicants selected for admission based on their entire application package will have a personal interview with the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee.Physical Examination/Immunization Students admitted to the program must have a physical examination and health clearance done by their Healthcare Provider. Complete physical examinations are required prior to registration for DH 100 and subsequent classes. The student will be given a physical examination form to be completed. This form requires:
- Physical examination with complete medical history
- Two-step tuberculosis test (An additional single step tuberculosis test will need to be repeated prior to commencing second year clinical activities.)
- Lab tests
- Current titers for:
- Updated immunization for tetanus (within ten years)
- Hepatitis B immunization or written declination (signed waiver on file)
- Tetanus and Diphtheria