- Possess Masters in Library Information Sciences (MSLIS)
- Teach Information Literacy in the last hour of English 101, once a week
- Have extensive research/writing knowledge
- Possess elevated technology skills
- Teach bibliographic instruction
- Are available for one-on-one tutoring with students (and staff) for help with:
- Digital literacy
- Media literacy
- Writing and Research Help
- Professional publishing
The Eastern International College Libraries are dedicated to supporting the college’s mission as a community that educates students to serve in allied health fields. The Eastern International College Libraries aim to provide an environment where life-long habits of learning are encouraged. This is accomplished by providing access to information resources designed to meet our program’s curriculum. In keeping with this mission, the libraries aim to:
- Promote information/digital/media literacy;
- Help students locate, access, and use sources (bibliographic instruction); and
- Support students in developing proper college-level research and writing skills
- High -capacity printer/scanner.
- 50 computers at Jersey City; 25 at Belleville
- WiFi for personal devices.
- Microsoft Suite.
- The combined physical holdings of both libraries total ~8,400 books, Including:
- Medical textbooks
- Medical guidelines
- Pocket Guides
- Social Sciences
◊ 120,000 Online resources, Including:
- METRO – this allows our students to gain physical access to other METRO libraries.
- National Network of Medical Libraries (NNML) – allows access to extensive online resources, free databases, continuing education, webinars, events, podcasts, and videos.
Bibliographic instruction at Eastern International College includes instruction on how to locate and access information resources; how to use library resources such as the library catalog and databases on your own, without the help of the Librarian. It prepares individuals to make immediate and lifelong use of information effectively by teaching the concepts and logic of information access, and by fostering information independence and critical thinking. The Eastern International College Library used the Library of Congress cataloging system.
Information literacy plays an integral role in the college’s educational activities. The librarian introduces the students to the available resources and assists in building student’s research skills. This is accomplished by required library classes as well as one-on-one instruction. In support of information literacy, the librarian provides additional subject / resource guides (LibGuides) to assist students in their studies. The librarian schedules research/writing skills instruction sessions and digital/media literacy instruction for students. Learning to think critically is one of the fundamental goals of information literacy, which in return contributes to lifelong learning. The librarian in collaboration with academic staff engages in student learning, helping students to develop the required skills to locate, access, and use information resources correctly and responsibly.